THE Senate has begun the process into the probe of the decision of President Muhammadu Buhari to unbundle the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC. 

In a point of Order by Senate Chief Whip, Senator Olusola Adeyeye on the floor of the Senate today, he drew the attention of other Senators to the unbundling of the nation’s agency in charge of the oil and gas sector in the country.

 

Adeyeye who will formally present a motion tomorrow where there would be extensive debate at the plenary, described the exercise as illegal as the federal government did not consult the National Assembly to repeal the enabling law that set up the organisation, before breaking it into different components.
Workers of the NNPC had shut down the corporation’s operations nationwide following the exercise and the development had led to fuel queues across the country.
 
Oil workers have shut down the operations of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) nationwide following Tuesday’s unbundling of the corporation. Members of staff and management of the corporation arrived their various offices on Wednesday morning to discover that they could not gain entrance following the total strike.
The immediate impact of thestrike will be nationwide fuel scarcity as products will not be lifted by NUPENG. It is not expected to affect the crude oil export yet except the Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) joins in solidarity. Ibe Kachikwu, minister of state for petroleum resources who doubles as the NNPC group managing director, had announced the creation of seven independent units on Tuesday, namely downstream, gas and power, refineries, ventures, corporate planning and services, and finance and accounts.

 

Fred Nwabufo The group executive committee (GEC) of the the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) and the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) convened an emergency meeting at 10pm on Tuesday to discuss the development.

 

At the end of the meeting, GEC sent this message to all members: “The GEC of NUPENG & PENGASSAN at its meeting of 8th March 2016, which started at 10:00pm has extensively discussed the pronouncement of the GMD on NNPC UNBUNDLING. We observed that the GMD/HMSP totally disregarded due process and failed to engage STAKEHOLDERS. Hence, from midnight today, ALL NNPC LOCATIONS will be SHUT DOWN COMPLETELY until further notice.

Further directives will be communicated accordingly.” At the NNPC headquarters on Wednesday, hundreds of the corporation’s staff littered the road causing gridlock on Herbert Macaulay way. Unionists in red were at the scene barricading the entrance to the NNPC building. Also, security agents were on hand to forestall break down of order.

 

A staff member of the NNPC, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told this newspaper that he was at the corporation’s building as of 7:30am on Wednesday but met “it barricaded by members of PENGASSAN.”

Reporters  tried to speak with one of the leaders of the union, but he said: “We are not here for journalists. This is not for the press.” Kachikwu had said the distribution of subsidiary companies of the corporation would further be restructured into direct management of the divisions. Last week, Kachikwu announced that the government was planning to unbundle the corporation into 30 profitable companies.

Details later…

Leave a comment

Trending