The Secretary to the Ekiti State Government (SSG) and some commissioners and members of the executive council have gone into hiding following an alleged threat of arrest by officers of the Department of State Security (DSS) who were said to have continued laying siege to the state.
The SSG, Dr. Modupe Alade, who disclosed the action of some EXCO members at a news conference addressed in Akure, Ondo State, capital, said a list of some EXCO members to be arrested was being paraded all over the state.
Specifically, the SSG said she had been receiving some strange telephone calls since Tuesday and one of the callers, who identified himself as Paul Okafor with telephone No +447442364448 told her to make herself available in the DSS Office, Abuja, soonest.
“Subsequent calls from other anonymous Nos said that in my own interest I should make myself available as there is no hiding place for me. This account for my addressing this Press Conference outside Ekiti State.
“This intimidating and overzealous act of the men of the DSS contradict Section 35 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended. One wonders what they are turning democracy to in Nigeria as amended”, she said.
The SSG said all these acts of DSS were being to Governor Ayodele Fayose and those that are close to him because of his critical stance on the Federal Government adding “we are yet to see a new constitution in Nigeria that makes speaking one’s mind on national issues, a crime”.
THISDAY.

Leave a comment