One core difference between the Igbo person and the Hausa Fulani is that the former thinks BUSINESS, in terms of profit and loss statement, in everything. While the latter thinks POLITICS and RULERSHIP in everything. (This is a discussion for another day.)
Getting our intelligentsia to dialogue with the North or Nigeria is quite ideal. But the questions are:
1. WHERE WERE THESE INTELLIGENTSIAS BEFORE NOW?
2. WHY WEREN’T THESE INTELLIGENTSIAS SENSITIVE ENOUGH TO START THIS MOVE BEFORE THE DAYS OF UWAZURUIKE and KANU?
3. HOW MANY OF THESE INTELLIGENTSIAS HAVE MADE CONCERTED EFFORT TO CALL OUR SELF-STYLED POLITICAL OFFICE HOLDERS TO A ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION?
4. IN WHAT WAYS HAVE THESE INTELLIGENTSIAS BEEN ABLE TO INFLUENCE THE POLITICS OF THE DAY IN THE IGBO LAND?
5. IF THESE INTELLIGENTSIAS WERE TO LEAD THE WAY NOW, BY WAY OF DIALOGUE, WHAT ASSURANCE DO WE HAVE THAT IT WILL NOT END IN PROFIT LOSS STATEMENT FOR THEMSELVES THEIR KINDS?
In as much as I do not subscribe to Kanu’s methods, but I must state that, if we have any group of people classified as the “Igbo Intelligentsias”, who kept mute all these while and didn’t do anything that was consequential enough to draw attention, even if it’s the kind of attention Kanu attracted, I doubt if such group can constitute HOPE for the Igbo cause.
If such group exists, if their members are not self-styled and self-centered, they should first make out time, pay the necessary sacrifice, and dialogue first with their own brother, Kanu. If they’re able to win him over, then we can have hope that they can stand a chance with the Hausa Fulani.