Jacob Zuma, the embattled President of South Africa, has resigned. But that is not the news.
I carefully followed the events that led to Jacob Zuma’s exit and the whole thing lasted less than FIVE days. Again, that is not news.
But note these:
* In the build-up to Zuma’s exit, no one played the ETHNIC card. His place of birth in South Africa did NOT matter.
* Again, RELIGION was not an issue. Nobody even remembered he bore a Christian name.
* The party was more interested in saving its NAME and LEGACY, than saving Zuma.
* Zuma did not deploy police and army to seal off the venue of the ANC meeting and teargas his party members.
* There was no rented crowd at the ANC secretariat singing Zuma’s praise and trolling Cyril Ramaphosa.
* It was NOT even ANC that reiterated the supremacy of the party, it was Zuma himself.
Like I wrote earlier in the week, politics is played everywhere. It can be fun and interesting. But is it played FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE SOCIETY. IT IS TO IMPROVE THE HUMAN CONDITION.
But here, ours is for the self, our family and cronies and people of our ethnic and religious backgrounds.
IN NIGERIA, IF A PRESIDENT GRABS THE GUN OF HIS POLICE ORDERLY AND SHOOTS A CITIZEN, or DOES ANY VISIBLY DESECRATING ACT SOME OF US WILL STILL DEFEND HIM.
Were it to be Nigeria, Zuma would not leave office. Never. He and his supporters could throw up all sorts of mundane excuses to remain in office.
** Do you now see why Toyota, Mazda, Daimler Chrysler, BMW, Volkswagen and so on all have Assembly plants in South Africa?
** Do you now see why they generate almost 40,000 megawatts and we are calling thanksgiving service for 7,000 megawatts?
** Do you now see why they successfully hosted the World Cup?
** Do you know why our citizens rush there?
South Africa has again showed that it is NOT about the black man. We are not intellectually inferior to the white man. Something is just fundamentally wrong with Nigeria and its LEADERSHIP MANAGEMENT.
And that thing is INSTITUTIONS. Both at governmental and non-governmental levels.
As long as we produce LEADERS that we MAKE STRONGER than our INSTITUTIONS, we will NEVER make progress!
No be curse…